Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Family weekend recap 11/9-11/11

I have wanted to recap about my brother's family weekend and I finally have some time to do so!!

We had a great weekend, and it was soo good to see Matt. At this point we had not seen him since the middle of August when he was loaded onto a bus and shuttled to bootcamp.

He has done SUCH a great job, they even made him a squad leader and he has about 8 guys under him. Hearing him tell us stories and refer to those in the group as "my guys" made me even more proud. The boy was born to do this, even though it makes his older sister nervous and sad about him leaving.

My parents went up the day before we did, which was Thursday, but since my husband and my sister both had to work, we left on Friday. Mom and dad went to the base and after a short ceremony finally saw Matt and took him for a big breakfast!! (We did alot of eating that weekend, Matthew was taking full advantage. Ha!)

We arrived later that evening and went to a big BBQ dinner. It was great to see him, and he looked so grown up in his camis. The next day we all got ready and headed to shop for some of the things he needed to pick up. New boots, flash light, things like that. We went to Ranger Joes, which is a great military store located in Fort Benning, and took our time looking around. Then we went to the Infantry Museum. It was incredible. If, for any reason, you are ever in the Columbus area, please do yourself a favor and go to the museum. I promise it won't disappoint. Here are a few pictures from the museum, and me and Matt outside the museum.


Wahhh he is so official!




Infantry!!!

My bud! He's single ladiesss :)


The rest of the weekend was spent eating, shopping, and laughing. He had to return to base with a fresh hair cut, so that was one of the last things we did.




We had to have him back on base at 6pm, but we got him there a little early so he wasn't late. They were told they don't want to know what would happen if they were late getting back!

This goodbye was harder than the first. I think it was because it all became so real this trip. He is really in the army, and he is leaving in January for Air Assault school. This is right before he left for the barracks. In a letter he wrote me he said that they did 1-2 hours of PT that night...poor guys!



There he goes :( This photo makes me want to cry.


Well, since I am so late getting this recap done.....it is already time for us to leave for his graduation! We leave tomorrow, he has a turning blue ceremony on Thursday (where my dad will pin his blue cords on his dress uniform and he will officially be an Infantryman) and then graduation on Friday morning.....bring on the tissues!! Can't wait to share pictures from this weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment